Friday, February 7, 2014

A Broom, A Plumber & A Moped

Our house is a work in progress to make it functional and livable.  One of the handymen who practically lived with us for a few weeks happened to be a very conservative Muslim.  He did a great job fixing some problems we had around the house.

One day he was in our front outdoor area (I don't know what to call it?  It's all tile so I can't call it a yard..) working and my man was sweeping the never ending sand off our porch that the wind had so kindly blown on my clean clothes hanging out on the line.  Sand plus wet clothes equals one sad mama.    So my loving, servant hearted husband was helping me out with the never ending problem.  I was just inside doing school work with our girls and trying to stay out of sight but I could hear them talking.  About 10 seconds after my man picked up the broom the talking got louder and faster.  My limited arabic couldn't keep up.  The gist of the conversation was that my man should not be doing that….it's the wife's job and I'm pretty sure he suggested my man get a second wife to pick up my slack.  My man began to share with him what the Word says not just about a husband loving his wife but about God's love.  One of my girls asked what Daddy was doing and the other responded, "Telling that man about Jesus."

Later that day we needed a part we didn't have and our handyman offered a ride…on his moped.  So my man rode off on a tiny moped through the busy traffic with the handyman.  My instructions before he left were, "to please come back alive."  After they got the part the handyman took my man to get a coffee at one of the men's only cafes.  He extended the wonderful hospitality we love about this part of the world and opened a door to share more.  (Side note: I'll probably never get used to there being coffee shops I'm not allowed to enter because I'm female.)

While the language barrier was obvious, the example of my man loving and serving his family was evident without words.  This is a stark contrast to what the culture expects and sees every day.   Who knew a broom and everyday task would allow an opportunity to share truth?!  Pray for our handyman and many more opportunities to share truth!

No comments:

Post a Comment